Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, 10 Steps I'm taking towards being Green

I know I make things to help reduce waste and help live life a little bit more respectful of the planet. I am also trying to take steps to be as Eco-friendly as possible with business practices.

Step 1: Use the heat wave here in Ohio to my advantage. I am currently hanging all of my fabrics out to dry in the warm sun. They are drying super fast & I am not using the dryer. (Helps keep the house cooler + no energy wasted)

Step 2: I am washing multiple yards of fabric together. Instead of doing each fabric in a separate load, I wash all fabrics for the business together in fewer loads. (Using less water & energy)

Step 3: I do not include a copy of the invoice in the package when shipped. Most people just throw this away anyways. (reduced paper consumption by half)

Step 4: I use tissue paper to wrap my items so that it can by recycled upon arrival.

Step 5: I use fabric scraps down to 3" & I sell all scrap batting in bulk for others to use. (Less trash)

Step 6: I buy in bulk to reduce trips to the store or deliveries to my house. (less fuel consumption)

Step 7: No trash bags!! Nothing I throw away needs to have a bag, so I empty straight into the dumpster what little I do throw away. This saves 1 trash bag a week from the landfill.

Step 8: No lights during the day. If you come to my house during the day, you won't find any lights on. When we do have to use lights, we use CFL's (disposed of appropriately when burnt out)

Step 9: I mail all domestic packages through USPS directly from my home (saves fuel from trips to the post office daily)

Step 10: I make my own laundry soap to wash all materials with. (reduce consumption of consumer goods)

Comments